Speeding Offences

Speeding Offences

About Speeding Offences

One of the main motoring offences in the UK is speeding. Speeding offences accounted for 28% of motoring offences in 2019. As it is a very common offence, the restrictions for speeding such as; speed cameras are becoming more common. After being charged with speeding, you can be faced with some hefty charges, penalties and even driving bans.

If you accept the charges of the speeding offence, any points remain on your driving record for 4 years. You can get caught in two main ways; you can either get caught speeding by a police officer or a speed camera. Either way, the consequences are serious and our experienced lawyers can help you if you have been charged with a motoring offence.

Penalties for a speeding offence

The penalties for speeding can be substantial. The minimum fixed penalty for speeding is £100, and 3 penalty points on your licence. You can be caught speeding if you are seen going over the speed limit on the road you are on. Speed limits are put in place to keep drivers safe on the road and reduce the number of accidents and fatalities on the road.

Depending on the severity of the offence, the fine can go up to £1,000, with £2,500 for motorway offences and 3-6 penalty points. For more serious offences, you can even get disqualified from driving.

For less severe offences, drivers may have the opportunity to go on a speed awareness course, instead of getting a fine and penalty points. This course usually costs £80-£100 depending on where you are in the UK. Drivers are more likely to attend this course if the opportunity arises to avoid penalty points on their licence.

Other consequences of speeding

Speeding can come with some hefty penalties, more severe motoring offences can lead to a criminal record. Receiving a criminal record can come with a lot of restrictions and a criminal record doesn’t look good when looking for a future job. Employers may check your criminal record, and that can minimise your chances of getting a job in the future. Speeding can also affect your car insurance premiums, making them significantly higher, adding unnecessary costs to your daily life.

Speeding offence procedure

There are 2 ways you can get caught speeding. Either by a police officer or a speed camera.

If you have been caught by a speed camera:

Within 14 days of being caught speeding, you will be sent a letter informing you of your offence, either by a NIP (Notice of Prosecution) or a Section 172 notice. After you send your Section 127 notice back, you will get a letter in which you’ll be either sent a fixed penalty notice or a letter informing you to go to court.

If you have been stopped by police officers:

If you have been stopped by the police, the procedure is very similar. The police have the option to give you a warning, they can also give you or send you a notice of prosecution or order you to go to court.

After receiving a fixed penalty notice you have the choice to either plead guilty or not guilty. If you decide to plead not guilty, we highly recommend you contact Solicitors On Your Side to help you with your case.

Solicitors on Your Side can assist you throughout your case. With our extensive knowledge, we can find ways on how to make your charge less severe, in the most stress-free and quick way, so you can get back to your day to day life in no time.

What should I do if I have been caught speeding

Speeding offences can have some big consequences on your daily life. If you have been charged with a speeding offence you can contact Solicitors On Your Side to get help with your case. Our experienced motoring solicitors will use their extensive expertise to help you get the best possible outcome for your case, enabling you to explore possible options to help defend your case. The most common defences that are used in speeding offences are; determining whether the speeding procedure was carried out properly by the police officer, and speeding was a necessity performed as a consequence of an emergency.

Have you been charged with a speeding offence?

If you have been charged with a motoring offence, contact Solicitors On Your Side now to help you lower your motoring offence penalties. We understand that these situations can be very time-consuming and stressful but at Solicitors On Your Side, we will try to make the process as quick as possible.

Get in touch with us!

Get in touch with us now if you have been charged with a motoring offence, remember that there are always better options out there!

Contact our solicitors now!

Contact us now. Solicitors On Your Side can offer you free advice and consultations.

Contact us today by phoning 0330 912 2124, emailing [email protected], or by using our website by filling out an online form.

If you would like to find out more about recent law changes and news, make sure to visit our Latest Articles page. Our latest articles also cover a range of other topics, such as; motoring offences, personal injury claims, medical negligence claims, occupier’s liability and more.

If you would like updates about our latest articles, follow us on InstagramFacebook and Twitter

Other Offences

You can be charged with driving a danger...
You can be charged with driving a dangerous vehicle for a range o...
What is careless driving? Careless drivi...
What is careless driving? Careless driving can be a very serious ...
About Contravening Signs Traffic signs a...
About Contravening Signs Traffic signs are put in place on the ro...

Our 4 steps to success


Make an initial enquiry

Give us a call or request a call back. We'll listen to your case and provide no-obligation advice.


Your case is accepted

Should we advise your case is worth pursuing, and you choose our services, we will begin case preparation.


We'll work on your case

With your co-operation, we'll work on your case through to completion. You may be required to provide extra evidence.


Successful Outcome

As your Solicitors, we can ensure that your case has the best possible outcome given the circumstances around it.