Road Traffic Accident

Road Traffic Accidents

Have you been injured in a road traffic accident? Get the compensation you deserve.

What is a Road Traffic Accident?

A road traffic accident is typically any type of collision or damaging road incident you may have experienced as a driver or passenger in any type of vehicle such as a car, van or motorcycle. You may also suffer from a Road Traffic Accident as a pedestrian.

If you’ve suffered some form of injury due to a road traffic accident, such as whiplash or something even more serious which impacts your life, then you could be entitled to compensation through a no win no fee compensation claim.

What is my road traffic accident claim worth?

The amount of compensation that you can receive for a road traffic accident varies depending on the severity of your injuries and any other costs or losses you incur as a result, these could include medical expenses, loss of earnings, and damages caused to your vehicle.

Short-term whiplash injuries, which is generally soft tissue damage to the neck and back usually see compensation amount in the region of a few thousand pounds. However, injuries vary, including broken bones, back injuries, and other serious injuries. Some of the most serious injuries result in millions of pounds in compensation.

Speak to our friendly solicitors today to find out how much you could potentially be owed for your road traffic accident claim.

Who can claim road traffic accident compensation?

There are many different types of road accidents, some of which may not involve two cars. These types of accidents can include:

  • Car Accidents
  • Pedestrian Accidents
  • Motorcycle Accidents
  • Cycling Accidents
  • Public Transport Accidents
  • Taxi Accidents

If you have been injured as a driver or passenger in any type of accident that wasn’t your fault, you are also eligible to claim compensation – speak to us today to find out how much your claim could be worth.

How long after a road accident can I claim?

You can claim compensation up to three years after the road traffic accident in most circumstances. If you didn’t realise you were injured at the time, then you have three years from the date you discovered the injury.

For those under 18 who are injured in a road traffic accident, someone can claim on your behalf (a litigation friend) or you can claim up to three years after you turn 18, regardless of when the accident occurred.

Contact our solicitors now!

Contact us now. Solicitors On Your Side can offer you free advice and consultations.

Contact us today by phoning 0330 912 2124, emailing [email protected], or by using our website by filling out an online form.

If you would like to find out more about recent law changes and news, make sure to visit our Latest Articles page. Our latest articles also cover a range of other topics, such as; motoring offences, personal injury claims, medical negligence claims, occupier’s liability and more.

If you would like updates about our latest articles, follow us on InstagramFacebook and Twitter

Road Traffic Accidents FAQ's

  • What can I claim for?

    If you’ve been injured in a road traffic accident, you are able to claim compensation for your pain & suffering as well as out-of-pocket expenses and loss of earnings.


    You can claim for any injuries you’ve sustained in a road traffic accident. To determine the extent of your injuries we’ll arrange for an independent assessment.

    Medical Expenses

    Medical expenses may be awarded for any medical treatment that you required as a result of a road traffic accident. these can include, home visits, physiotherapy, and potential care that you may require.

    Vehicle Damage

    Vehicle damages may be awarded to you to cover the costs of repairs that need to be made to your vehicle if it has become damaged in a road traffic accident.

    Loss of Earnings

    If you were unable to work due to the accident you were involved in, you may be able to receive compensation for loss of earnings.

  • What do I need to make a road traffic accident claim?
    • You should get evidence at the scene of the accident and exchange details
    • We could recover compensation even if you think you were at fault
    • You can claim for loss of earnings and out of pocket costs
    • You have three years to make a claim in most cases although there are exceptions
    • You can claim compensation even if the other driver was uninsured or didn’t stop
  • How long will my claim take?

    The length of time a road traffic accident takes to settle can range from a few months to settle a claim for minor injuries, up to several years for more complex or serious injuries.

    At On Your Side, we always aim to settle your case for the maximum possible compensation as quickly as possible, however, the length of your case can become longer if the other side attempts to deny or fight the claim.

  • Will I need to go to court?

    It’s very unlikely that you will need to go to court for a road traffic accident claim.

    If your case does go all the way to court, On Your Side will do all they can to ensure that you do not need to attend court yourself, our solicitors will endeavour to represent you outside of court.

    As a last resort, if your claim is disputed, you may have to attend court. You will be required to provide evidence of your injuries, any financial losses, and your own account of the accident.

  • Do I need to have a medical exam?

    As part of your claim, you will be required to have a medical assessment so that your injuries can be fully assessed by a medical professional.

    This medical exam will help us to claim the maximum compensation for you. Doctors will need to examine you to determine how the car accident affected your overall health, or impacted any existing conditions. If you do not claim until after you have healed, you will still need a medical report.

  • After I have been involved in a road traffic accident, what should I do?

    If you’re unfortunate enough to be in a road traffic accident, there are certain legal obligations you must adhere to under the Road Traffic Act 1988.

    • You should remain at the scene of the accident for a reasonable amount of time. If you fail to stop or drive off before the other party can record your details, you may be committing an offence.
    • You need to exchange contact details with the other party and provide your insurance and car ownership details at the scene or within 24 hours at a police station.

    In addition to your legal obligations, we also recommend the following:

    • Take photos or video of the scene from a wide angle where safe to do so
    • Take photos or video of the vehicles and damage with close ups
    • Get the names and contact details of any witnesses

Other Offences

What is careless driving? Careless drivi...
What is careless driving? Careless driving can be a very serious ...
You can be charged with driving a danger...
You can be charged with driving a dangerous vehicle for a range o...
About Insurance Getting insurance on you...
About Insurance Getting insurance on your car should be the first...
Driving without a licence You must have ...
Driving without a licence You must have an up to date licence for...

Our 4 steps to success


Make an initial enquiry

Give us a call or request a call back. We'll listen to your case and provide no-obligation advice.


Your case is accepted

Should we advise your case is worth pursuing, and you choose our services, we will begin case preparation.


We'll work on your case

With your co-operation, we'll work on your case through to completion. You may be required to provide extra evidence.


Successful Outcome

As your Solicitors, we can ensure that your case has the best possible outcome given the circumstances around it.