Hurt On Someone’s Property? What Should I Do?

What is Occupiers Liability?

Occupiers Liability means that any occupier of land or building owes a duty of care to anyone who is there or visiting the property, meaning that they have to keep the property or land to a reasonably safe standard and outline if there is any danger in the property or land, clearly with warnings. If the occupier fails to do so, for example: doesn’t inform the visitor of any dangers or doesn’t try to keep the property or land to a safe standard and the visitor is hurt because of it, they are eligible to claim for Occupiers Liability negligence.

Types of Occupiers Liability claims

There is a range of Occupiers Liability claims, and usually, they fall under these categories:

  • Slips and falls in shops and supermarkets
  • Accidents in public buildings such as cafes, restaurants and bars
  • Accidents in government buildings
  • Accidents at work, on-premise not controlled by the employer
  • Accidents on public transport

These are just some examples of what individuals can claim for, there can be a range of claims that fall under Occupiers Liability.

What should I do if I’ve been hurt on someone else’s property?

If you have been hurt on someone else’s property, the first thing you should do is make sure you are fine and anyone else who has been involved in the incident. If it is necessary to do so, call any emergency services. Then, you can think about gathering any evidence, to help your claim.

Evidence to consider includes:

  • Pictures and videos
  • Access any CCTV footage if you can
  • Witness reports
  • Medical reports

Can I Access CCTV footage?

The Data Protection Act of 1998 means that a person can request footage of themselves held by another party. This means that if you have been involved in an accident, where CCTV footage was available, you can request footage. However, some businesses may refuse to give you footage for reasons, like if other people’s faces were visible on it. CCTV can be a highly effective way of collecting evidence, however, most footage requests need to be done soon after the accident, as many businesses don’t keep their footage for long.

How Can I make an Occupier’s Liability negligence claim?

If you have been hurt on a property or land without fault of your own, contact Solicitors on Your Side now, to talk to our lawyers about your claim. Our lawyers try to make the process as quick and as stress-free as possible. With 95% of the claims completed within 9 months, we try to give you the highest compensation possible.

Contact our Solicitors now!

Contact us now, Solicitors on Your Side can offer you free advice and consultations. Our solicitors can help you on a “no win-no fee” basis. That means there will be no hidden fees, and everything can be done over the phone from anywhere in the UK.

Contact us today by phoning 0330 912 2124, emailing [email protected], or by using our website by filling out an online form.

If you would like to find out more about recent law changes and news, make sure to visit our Latest Articles page. Our latest articles also cover a range of other topics, such as; motoring offences, personal injury claims, medical negligence claims, occupier’s liability and more.

If you would like to be updated about our latest articles follow us on InstagramFacebook and Twitter.

Latest Articles

Our 4 steps to success


Make an initial enquiry

Give us a call or request a call back. We'll listen to your case and provide no-obligation advice.


Your case is accepted

Should we advise your case is worth pursuing, and you choose our services, we will begin case preparation.


We'll work on your case

With your co-operation, we'll work on your case through to completion. You may be required to provide extra evidence.


Successful Outcome

As your Solicitors, we can ensure that your case has the best possible outcome given the circumstances around it.