Accidents in Public

Have you been injured in an accident at another property? Get the compensation you deserve.

What is an Accident in Public Claim?

Accidents in Public claims for compensation are very common. An accident in public claim is a type of claim that arises when a visitor to the property is injured as a result of the negligence of the property’s owner or occupier.

An occupier of premises is required by law to take reasonable care at all times to ensure the safety of visitors. All occupiers must periodically assess the safety of their premises and identify any potential hazards which may need attention.

If you have been injured on somebody else’s property for no fault of your own, you’re likely to be able to claim compensation.

What are the common types of accidents in public claims?

Many types of personal injury claims arise as a result of accidents in occupied buildings and properties. The most common types of occupiers liability claims we deal with include:

  • Shop or Supermarket slips, trips, and falls.
  • Accidents in grounds owned by a private company or person
  • Injuries to workers working on premises that are not controlled by the employer of the injured party.
  • Accidents in Government buildings
  • Accidents on public transport
  • Accidents in shops, cafes, restaurants, and shopping centres.
  • Accidents whilst watching sports, concerts, or at the cinema or theatre.

How much is my accident in a public claim worth?

The amount of compensation that you could receive for your occupier’s liability claim varies depending on the seriousness of the injuries that you sustained as a result of the accident.

  • General damages refer to compensation for your injuries. This will be based on your pain and suffering as a direct result of the injuries sustained in your accident.
  • Special damages refer to any additional financial losses you sustained as a direct result of your injuries. These can include loss of earnings if you have had any time off work due to the accident, travel costs, home care costs, and medical costs. You should ensure that you keep receipts of any additional expenses to prove your special damages.

How long do I have to claim?

You can claim compensation up to three years after the accident in most circumstances. If you didn’t realise you were injured at the time, then you have three years from the date you discovered the injury.

For those under 18 who are injured, someone can claim on your behalf (a litigation friend) or you can claim up to three years after you turn 18, regardless of when the accident occurred.

Contact our solicitors now!

Contact us now. Solicitors On Your Side can offer you free advice and consultations.

Contact us today by phoning 0330 912 2124, emailing [email protected], or by using our website by filling out an online form.

If you would like to find out more about recent law changes and news, make sure to visit our Latest Articles page. Our latest articles also cover a range of other topics, such as; motoring offences, personal injury claims, medical negligence claims, occupier’s liability and more.

If you would like updates about our latest articles, follow us on InstagramFacebook and Twitter


Accidents in Public FAQ's

  • How do I know who the occupier is?

    Generally, the premises of the occupier is usually the person who:

    • Is the owner of the property or premises
    • Has exclusive possession of the property or premises
    • Has the immediate right to enter and to use the property or premises.

    Liability also usually extends to a ‘manager’ of a workplace, this means that more than one person can be held to be the occupier of premises.

    If you have been involved in an accident at premises that are occupied by another person, they should be held to account for the injury you have suffered.

  • Do occupiers have a ‘duty of care’?

    By law, the occupier of premises is directly liable for the welfare of all visitors to their premises.

    If a visitor sustains injuries and the occupier is in violation of their duty of care, the visitor is entitled to compensation

    Any occupier who invites individuals onto their premises must follow the Occupiers Liability Act to ensure that their premises are in a fit state for visitors to enter the premises without the risk of injury.

  • What can I claim for?

    If you’ve been injured in an accident at somebody else’s property, you are able to claim compensation for your pain & suffering as well as out-of-pocket expenses and loss of earnings.


    Medical Expenses

    Vehicle Damage

    Loss of Enjoyment

Other Offences

What is careless driving? Careless drivi...
What is careless driving? Careless driving can be a very serious ...
About Speeding Offences One of the main ...
About Speeding Offences One of the main motoring offences in the ...

Our 4 steps to success


Make an initial enquiry

Give us a call or request a call back. We'll listen to your case and provide no-obligation advice.


Your case is accepted

Should we advise your case is worth pursuing, and you choose our services, we will begin case preparation.


We'll work on your case

With your co-operation, we'll work on your case through to completion. You may be required to provide extra evidence.


Successful Outcome

As your Solicitors, we can ensure that your case has the best possible outcome given the circumstances around it.